Today was not a good day. The night before last I took some zyrtec (and slept like a rock). Unfortunately I didn't sleep off all of the effects and the next day (yesterday) I was completely zonked. I came home and took a one hour nap. HUGE mistake. I couldn't sleep at all last night, maybe drifted off some around 3:00, but kept waking back up.
Today was the last day of finals for my students and was pretty much uneventful. I did have the one student that came to me about her grade not even 30 minutes after the exam, when I had explicitly told them not to even look at grades until around noon. Then I had the phone call from the annoying student who made an A as her final grade in the course saying she wants to come and see what she missed on the final. To top it all off, the Dean called and left a message saying she wants to see me about a student who has an issue with my class.
Here's the e-mail I wrote back to my Dean:
Sure, I'll see you tomorrow. In fact, I'd really LOVE to be in on the meeting when you meet with her.
She was upset with me earlier in the quarter when she missed a class and asked if she could make it up. I explained to her that there weren't any other lectures to go to because that was the only class that I taught and she kept pressing the issue to make up the class.
She only missed two classes during the quarter and she didn't miss any exams or quizzes or anything so there wasn't really anything to make up (plus I record my lectures so she could've listened to it online).
She was waiting for me in the office on Monday and she told me that she had been calling me and calling me. I have messages from her time stamped 7:52 pm and 10:29 pm both on Sunday night. I told her that I didn't work on the weekends and she said something about she thought it was my cell phone number. I wanted to laugh in her face, but I didn't. She wanted to leave her take home exam and she missed class...no big deal.
She missed the review I gave for the final exam, but I posted almost half of it on Angel (still there by the way, and I put an announcement about it). She made a 41.5% on the final lecture exam and a 38% on the lab final (which they had a review of the previous week). Not surprisingly, she didn't pass the class. She ended up with a 65 average.
I know you probably didn't want a detailed e-mail about her, but I'm really upset.
Thursday, September 11, 2008
As the quarter ends
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment