Friday, August 10, 2007

Pirogue


pi·rogue /pɪˈroʊg, ˈpiroʊg/ [pi-rohg, pee-rohg]
–noun
1. piragua (def. 1).
2. a native boat, esp. an American dugout.
[Origin: 1655–65; piragua]

pirogue. (n.d.). Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1). Retrieved August 10, 2007, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pirogue

Apparently, I can't even play with the dog correctly. I really didn't realize I was so fucked up. I lived the majority of the first part of my life listening to my father criticize me constantly (don't get me wrong, I have an awesome dad, but I could not do anything right). Now that I'm married, the criticism does not stop. Don't get me wrong, my husband is great, but I could definitely do without the criticism.
Here are my accomplishments in life:
  1. Graduated college
  2. Got a job until my father retired so I could go to grad school (I had to take care of things while he was away)
  3. Went to grad school, on my own, with no financial help from anyone
  4. Graduated from grad school
  5. Moved here with absolutely no prospects of a job, but got a good job within 6 months (actually five) as an adjunct instructor at a local college
  6. Got full time faculty position at said college
  7. Was named department head of biology at said college

I think those are pretty good things and that doesn't even go into other stuff I do, like community service or extracurricular stuff at the college.

Do you know what the one thing, the only thing, that my dad has actually told me to me face that he's proud of? When I lost over 100 pounds.

Do you know what my huge fault is that I constantly feel ashamed of as far as my husband goes, or anybody else goes as far as that is concerned? Gaining like 2/3 of that weight back.

No matter what I do in life. NO MATTER WHAT I DO IN LIFE. I will always be defined by my weight. That's it. End of fucking story.

No comments: