Saturday, August 04, 2007

Blueberries and landscaping

Last Sunday I went to pick blueberries with my husband and one of our colleague-friends at a Seventh Day Adventist compound. I did not know that this place existed even though, ironically, my stepson and I were driving around one day and we went straight to it. I remember telling him "this looks like some kind of compound and I don't think we should be here so let's go".

Our friend is the one who actually turned us on to the fact that you could go out there and pick stuff (corn, beans, figs, blueberries, etc). It was odd, you just go up to this place, that is essenially a home, pick your blueberries, put them in gallon ziploc bags that they leave for you and then you put your $8.00 in a little drop box. You can also eat all the blueberries you want while you pick them.

Anyway, last night I made this...

It is a cooking light recipe and it is quite delicious, especially with the fresh blueberry sauce that goes on it. I just wish the top and inside were more swirly.


I've also been doing some stuff to our front walkway area, which was basically dirt with some stepping stones. No grass will grow there. I have been graveling it and I bought some blue star creeper to plant in the gravel. I think I am also going to buy some more stepping stones and sort of stagger them (at the suggestion of my husband).


Wow, look at this...


"Be patient with Isotoma fluviatilis 'Blue Star Creeper'. It can take up to a year to get established, but once it is, it will take off. You've got to admit, it looks perfect between these pavers."

I'd consider myself very lucky if my front walkway area looks this nice in a year. We'll see. I guess I better go plant the things before it gets too hot. Of course it already is close to 80 degrees right now.

No comments: