Ceasar was put to sleep today. He was old. Nearly as old as LuLu. I got Caesar when I was 17 years old when my dad was away on vacation...he was soooo mad when he got back and saw another little fuzzy animal running around the house and yard.I picked Caesar from the litter for two reasons. First of all, he was the runt. The other reason was because he was the only puppy in his litter that was born without a tail. I named him Caesar because I saw in a Baby-name book that Caesar meant hairy and that is exactly what he was...hairy.
Caesar really did defeat the odds. We had a fence, but when he was a "teenager" he started breaking out and roaming around. During one of his adventures he got the hell beat out of him by something and basically crawled back to the house somehow. He ended up crawling under the house, probably to die and my dad crawled up under there after him and drug him out and to the vet. His neck and leg had hunks of meat torn out, but he got better.
Then my dad moved and Caesar continued to roam (this time my dad was out in the country, actually staying at my grandfather's place so there was no fence at the time). Caesar ended up getting shot with a rifle. When the vet x-rayed him he also saw that Caesar had lots of shotgun pellets in him, so apparently it was not the first time he had been shot. The rifle bullet missed his spine by a few milimeters.
The last really bad thing that happened was when my dad bought a new house and moved from my grandfather's. Well, Caesar was on one of his expeditions and we could not find him. So, my dad had a fence built at the new place and he and LuLu moved over there. Me and LuLu went walking my grandfather's land looking for Caesar. We searched for hours, but I couldn't find Caesar. We were getting ready to go and I was loading LuLu into the car and here comes Caesar running up to the car. He had been fighting with something and his neck was torn up and infected. I took him straight to the vet and he proceeded to shave Caesar's neck and put leather drains in. Caesar looked horrible, but he was ok.
He was a fighter and he was loyal to the end. He could hardly walk, but he followed my dad around everywhere.
I hate that both LuLu and Caesar are gone, but I know that they lived long healthy lives. Good lives. I just hope my dad can cope with them both being gone now.
No comments:
Post a Comment