Monday, January 15, 2007

Compliment


I just received one of the best compliments I've had in a long time. My husband cooked some gumbo and offered some to our neighbor across the street. Well she came over and got some gumbo and as she was leaving she saw the treadmill. She said "Now which one of ya'll uses that 'cause neither one of ya'll is fat"!

Now that's a shocker, but it makes me think about how other people perceive my body type. I think of myself as fat and gross, even though I'm not the heaviest I've ever been. Not that I really care what other people think, but if other people don't see me as fat why do I? I know this is not a new or unique problem, but I just don't understand why other people don't see the same thing I do, or why I don't see what other people see. Is it like hearing your own recorded voice? I know there are physiological explanations for that, but what about seeing ourselves differently?

No comments: