Sunday, June 22, 2008

Commitment

Well, let's see.

My full-time employee has decided not to be full-time anymore so we had to hire another employee as full-time. The one we hired is the one I recommended because of qualifications, experience, and seniority, but I am fearful of the attitude that he has (not that mine is much better). I am hoping that now that he is full-time then some of the bitterness will be gone. Time will tell.

I also got my best lab assistant's 2-week notice last week. I am sort of indifferent about the whole thing. I sort of knew it was coming.

One of my students who is supposed to be going to the national competition (we leave tomorrow) pretty much decided not to go, which put the team in jeopardy. She basically lied about why she couldn't go (because my boss got things worked out for her). I am so pissed about the whole situation, and I'm trying not to let it bother me, but I am extremely bothered by it. Luckily we were able to get another person to go in her place last minute, which was no easy feat seeing that the plane ticket and all was in the other chick's name.

Main Entry: commitment

2 : an agreement or promise to do something in the future

"commitment." Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law. Merriam-Webster, Inc. 22 Jun. 2008. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/commitment.

Bullshit. I just don't get how people can make a commitment to do something, then lie about why they "can't" do it, and think nothing of it. The girl didn't even come talk to me face-to-face. She e-mailed me. Then when everything was fixed for her and she still decided not to go, she left a voicemail for my boss. No apologies, no nothing.

I love getting teams together for these competitions. I love seeing my students achieve something. I love seeing them proud of themselves and it makes me proud to see them working together as a team (when they actually do) and it makes me proud to see them win (or at least try their best), but it is shit like this that makes me want to not do it anymore.

No comments: