Monday, October 08, 2007

Policies shmolicies

Today was the first day that I can honestly say I was embarassed to work where I work.

A student who did not pass the first part of A&P attempted to get into the second part of A&P. The prerequisite for A&P II is a passing grade in A&P I (go figure). I told her she could not register for A&P II. She then went to the registrar who told her the same thing I did. She then went to the dean of my particular school, who told her the same thing that I did. She then went to the President who ordered the registrar to put her in my A&P II class (which is a hybrid class by the way...we don't meet for lecture, only labs).

I am so disgusted and pissed that it is not even funny. I think that this is the first time that I have actually wanted a student to fail my class, which is something I must put out of my head. I told my boss, the dean, that I will never check another roster to make sure that a student has met the prerequisite "requirements" for being in a particular biology class. I will not put myself out to ensure "a policy" that can be overidden without much thought. A policy put in place only to help the students. I wish them all good luck, because they sure as hell are gonna need it.

No comments: