Sunday, December 31, 2006

Much better

Even though Christmas really did suck as far as the mood went. It's funny that the only thing good about the day was the stuff I got, and ironically that is what I despise the most about the whole Christmas season.

Don't get me wrong, I do like getting presents, but my feelings on the whole gift thing is that if I want something bad enough then I will go get it myself. I would much rather have something that didn't cost anything if there was some genuine thought put into it...something that is just for me, something that shows me that whoever gave it to me really knows me and knows how to please me.

So, basically I go through the motions of buying gifts and getting gifts, and even though I really love the gift card my husband got me and the check and gift card my dad got me, I would just rather not even exchange gifts. I managed to remedy that at our annual work Christmas party. The last two years (and before that, I am sure) we did dirty Santa. Everyone in the department spent $20-$25 on a present and we did the whole dirty Santa thing at the party. Anyway, this year I was in charge of the party, basically because nobody else wanted to take charge of it and I opted not to do dirty Santa. Instead we collected the money that would've been spent on a gift ($20) and we paid for a caterer and we donated $200 to a charity thing for foster kids, plus we (I) bought 4 stockings and filled them with stuff to send to soldiers overseas.

I suggested to my husband that next year instead of us exchanging gifts, perhaps we should go on a trip somewhere. I think that would be much better and enjoyable for both of us. Of course we will still buy presents for my stepson, who has a really hard time saying thank you a lot of times and who pretty much doesn't play with half (or more) of the gifts that he does get.

No comments: